Updated: Jun 27, 2021
It's the weekend! And, even though the Super Bowl will be played tomorrow, there are still about 44 hours left to fill with something good to read. If you are struggling in your search for a great book, I am offering some fascinating titles for you to explore:
1. Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice (1978) I kid you not, apparently some people really needed an excuse to get out of town and party (internationally). Were there employers who actually paid for this kind of travel expense and, more importantly, why didn’t I get a job there? Who dressed and undressed the mice for this workshop anyway? Since this is the second International workshop, apparently the first one must have been a resounding success. If you’re interested in learning more, first let me say I’m sorry to hear that, and second –you can buy the book for $44 at abebooks.com.
2. Designing High Performance Stiffened Structures (2000) I have so many questions about this, I may, in fact, need to buy this book. First, I have a number of structures around my property and never once have I graded them on their performance. I think that is just mean and sounds like structure-bullying to me. I would never even consider going up to one of my structures and saying, “You are underperforming and, oh by the way, you are also not stiff. Apparently, the architect did not bother to read this exceedingly popular book when designing you! Haha!” Seriously, though, how is an unstiffened structure even a thing? It would be like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters, I guess. But, I’m always happy to help out here so, if you also want to buy this book, it’s available at Amazon for the low, low price of $149.99!
But wait - there's more!
3. Managing a Dental Practice: The Genghis Kahn Way (2010): Since my dentist’s office is run by Genghis Kahn’s lesser-known brother, Darrell, I thought maybe he authored this book. Darrell is not really into pillaging, but he sure does like a good torture now and then. I know this because one time I caught him running the drill when there wasn’t even anyone in the room! I then figured out he just trying to scare the snot out of me before I sat in the chair. I found this book as a second edition which can only mean there were many dentists interested in the first edition – yikes! It’s also available at Amazon for only $41.20. Order yours today and be prepared for your next visit to the dentist! Oh, and if you hear Darrell say something about his battle axe, he is not referring to his receptionist.
4. Living With Crazy Buttocks (2002): I have an idea who the author of this one is as well but I’m going to keep that to myself. I also want you to know that I am doing my due diligence and verifying these are honest-to-goodness books before I include them here. When I looked this one up (and found it – again – on abebooks.com) the description cracked me up. Under “About This Item” it, in fact, said “A clean, firm book…” Those Australians do have a good sense of humor. Oh, yes, the book will come from Australia so even though it is only $9.40, it will cost you another $36 for shipping. But, if this will help you live with those crazy buttocks, I say it’s a darn good way to spend your stimulus check!
5. This last book is offered as a sleep aid: Highlights in the History of Concrete (1994). Believe it or not, this book was SOLD OUT on Amazon! But, fear not, here is another site you can go to if that melatonin isn’t working for you: Concretenetwork.com. You can learn all about the history of concrete right here, from the comfort of your own bed! Now – to get you on your way to dreamland, I’ll close with a snippet from the site: “This is an interactive timeline covering the history of cement and concrete. It spans over 5,000 years, from the time of the Egyptian Pyramids to present day decorative concrete developments….”